The Holy Monastery of Dionysiou, also known as "Nea Petra", was built in 1366 by the monk Saint Dionysios on a rock, on the southwest side of the Athos peninsula, near the beach. The financial aid from the emperor of Trebizond Alexios III Komnenos gave it the name "Monastery of Komnenos the Great" and is dedicated to Timios Prodromos. After its destruction by fire, in 1535, it was rebuilt and since then it remains architecturally unchanged, to this day.
It is one of the most daring architectural ensembles, based on a rock that rises vertically on the sea. Although the space inside is very limited, nevertheless there is not only the main church (Genesis of Timios Prodromos), but also a number of chapels, many of which are frescoed. Inside the monastery is the defensive tower, built in 1520.
The church was painted in 1546 by the painter George, one of the main representatives of the Cretan school of the middle of the 16th century. The Bank has been frescoed in two periods, in 1546-1547 by the monks Daniel and Mercury and in 1603. The frescoes located outside the Bank have representations with which the book of Revelation is interpreted. The monastery has one of the most remarkable collections of works of art, mainly portable icons.