Konstamonitou Monastery The Holy Monastery of Konstamonitou (also known as Kastamonitou) is located in the center of the Athonite peninsula, in the deceptive forest of Kreovouni, at a height of 200 meters and stands out for the special natural beauty that surrounds it. According to historical sources, it was built in the 11th century (1086), but its founders are unknown, as the information varies, mentioning the Emperor Constantine the Great and his son Constantius or a monk from Kastamonas Paphlagonia or Kastamonos of Pontus or a descendant of a wealthy family in Istanbul.
The Katholikon of the Monastery is dedicated to the memory of Agios Stefanos and was built in 1867, on the ruins of the oldest church. A famous Byzantine cross is kept in it, a piece of Holy Wood, and the remains of many saints. It supervises a series of historic chapels, hermitages, and cells, while many of its visitors, in addition to its spiritual range, appreciate the natural beauty of the environment that surrounds it. There are also 5 chapels in the monastery.
In the Monastery of Konstamonitou, the icon of Panagia Odigitria of the 12th century is kept, a gift of Anna of Philanthropy, the icon of Panagia "Antifonitria" and the icon of Agios Stefanos of the 8th century. The library preserves 110 manuscripts, dating from the 12th to the 18th century.