The church of Agios Athanasios in Sykia, in the center of the old settlement, is a protected monument with more than 200 years of history. It was built in 1819 with simple materials but careful style, by a workshop of craftsmen from Zoupani, Kozani. The church is a three-aisled, wooden-roofed basilica, with a narthex and a nave.
It was destroyed twice, during the revolutionary events of 1821 and 1854, but it was repaired and still retains its original, imposing and impressive character. The masonry is special, with decorative plinths in various places and artistic details throughout the construction. The decoration includes reliefs, crosses, depictions of animals, plants and cherubs. It is considered one of the most beautiful surviving decorations from the era.