Gazi Evrenos, the mercenary who pioneered the conquest of the Balkan Peninsula by the Ottomans, is considered the founder of Giannitsa (1380-1385). He himself lived in Giannitsa and was buried there, in the year 1417.
The original mausoleum, which rose above his tomb, was a luxurious, square building with a lead-covered dome. The place, due to the burial of this important man and his descendants, gradually became a pilgrimage.
After the middle of the 17th century, the original core was expanded, while at the beginning of the 20th century the building underwent a complete renovation, taking, approximately, its current form. Inside, a box-shaped tomb is preserved, decorated with frescoes that mimic orthomarbling, while the marble inscribed column of the tomb of Gazis Evrenos is also exhibited.