Varosi, the district of Edessa, is the first Christian district that was created growing the Byzantine settlement that developed in the citadel and the ancient city. In 1944 the Germans burned most of the district because it was used as a resistance center. In 1983 it was declared as a traditional settlement, while recently the houses have been restored, based on a study awarded by the European Union.
The houses that survive in Varosi date back to the 19th century and are a typical example of traditional Macedonian architecture. Most houses are simple, but there are also mansions. They are usually two-storey buildings, with ledges, open covered balcony and tiled roof.Entering a building, you will see a courtyard, while around the courtyards are organized semi-outdoor spaces. Remarkable mansions in Varosi that should be mentioned are the house of Yousmi, where the interior of the house includes a sericulture, the mansion Valasa, inside which there is a private chapel, as well as the house of Tsami.
Varosi is built on the ancient walls and the citadel ("Castle of Bodenon") of Edessa, resulting in a great view of the meadow. The walk in the district, which has been declared protected, is a journey through time, but the beauty and uniqueness of the houses, which stands out from the rest of the modern city, can be considered an attraction in itself.